When it comes to media consumption in the Self Hosted communities, you will see the words Plex, Emby and Jellyfin quite often as top contenders for ways to self host and watch your own media collection. The ongoing battle of which is best has been a discussion for years that only you can decide.
What is Jellyseerr?
Jellyseerr is a free and open source software application for managing requests for your media library. It is a fork of Overseerr built to bring support for Jellyfin & Emby media servers. Jellyseer also supports Plex! So you get support for all 3 platforms.
Jellyseerr Current Features
(Upcoming Features include: Multiple Server Instances, Music Support, Ability to change email address and much more!)
Along with all the existing Overseerr features:
- Full Plex integration. Authenticate and manage user access with Plex!
- Easy integration with your existing services. Currently, Jellyseerr supports Sonarr and Radarr. More to come!
- Plex library scan, to keep track of the titles which are already available.
- Customizable request system, which allows users to request individual seasons or movies in a friendly, easy-to-use interface.
- Incredibly simple request management UI. Don't dig through the app to simply approve recent requests!
- Granular permission system.
- Support for various notification agents.
- Mobile-friendly design, for when you need to approve requests on the go!
Jellyseerr features the ability for jellyfin/emby users to change their email used on the account as well for the likes of notifications etc
Also upcoming features include, seasons in TV shows with episode information, music and book support, and simultaneous multi server instances
With more features on the way! Check out the issue tracker to see the features which have already been requested.
Jellyseerr Installation with Docker Compose
Installation through docker compose are as follows:
Type the following in the
Jellyseerr User Management
Once you connect your Emby or Jellyfin server to Jellyseer, you can easily import the users into Jellyseer. They can log into Jellyseer with the same credentials as your media server to begin browsing and requesting media.
Jellyseerr Media Browsing
Browsing media in Jellyseer is pretty straighforward. You have options to browse by genre, studios, networks, popular, trending, upcoming or you can search manually using the search at the top.
Currently, Jellyseerr offers notification support from the following systems.
- Web Push
You can choose from several notification types.
Final Notes and Thoughts
Jellyseerr is surprisingly easy to setup. I set it up with my Emby server and was able to give family access using their Emby credentials. It has been a fantastic solution to an ongoing problem. I am no longer being bombarded by texts messages to add this or that to Emby. They request it, I get the notification. That simple.
Some day I'd love to switch to Jellyfin but there's a couple things I need like media downloading to devices that (at the time) Jellyfin did not support when I tried it last year.