I've been ill the last few days but managed to get some things done anyway. New server upgrades have been made and did I hear something about Rocket Chat joining the Matrix? Yeah, you heard that right! Super cool things happening in the Self Hosted community!
For those of you running Docker on Windows... Docker Desktop has had major updates, extensions and other goodies added recently.
Oh, and if you haven't heard already, Docker Desktop is now available on Linux too!
If you are looking to get started in self hosting and are looking for a starter homelab, check out these refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7050 mini PC's! They are perfect for starter homelabs and can run more than you'd think in Docker containers. They are on sale for $199 right now as of the time I write this! Thanks to Dup on Discord for the tip!
Speaking of Discord, our Discord server is slowly growing and becoming more active. Hop in if you want instant notifications when posts go live or just to chat with like minded folks!
What's new in Self Hosted this week?
GitNoter is a web application that allows users to store notes in their git repository. This is a frontend project built using mainly react (typescript), redux-toolkit & mui components. GitNoter API is the back-end implementation of REST APIs which are used by this react app.
Duf is a fully functional file server. That's it...
- Serve static files
- Download folder as zip file
- Search files
- Upload files and folders (Drag & Drop)
- Delete files
- Basic authentication
- Upload zip file then unzip
- Partial responses (Parallel/Resume download)
- Support https/tls
- Easy to use with curl
SigNoz helps developers monitor applications and troubleshoot problems in their deployed applications. SigNoz uses distributed tracing to gain visibility into your software stack.
Yep, it's worth another mention in the roundup! Audiobookshelf has been one of the most amazing apps over the last few weeks and has had several updates since our last spotlight!
Audiobookshelf is a self-hosted audiobook and podcast server.
- Fully open-source, including the android & iOS app (in beta)
- Stream all audio formats on the fly
- Search and add podcasts to download episodes w/ auto-download
- Multi-user support w/ custom permissions
- Keeps progress per user and syncs across devices
- Auto-detects library updates, no need to re-scan
- Upload books and podcasts w/ bulk upload drag and drop folders
- Backup your metadata + automated daily backups
- Progressive Web App (PWA)
- Chromecast support on the web app and android app
- Fetch metadata and cover art from several sources
- Basic ebook support and e-reader (experimental)
- Merge your audio files into a single m4b w/ metadata and embedded cover (experimental)
Harmony is an open source federated chat protocol with an emphasis on simplicity and performance. Basically another Discord alternative.
That's all I've got this week folks! I know it's not that much and I am always open to more suggestions! Winner of the PikaPods $100 credit drawing from last week was chosen randomly this morning. The winner was emailed a few minutes ago! Congrats to Raphaël!
If you are a brand or community manager and would like to sponsor the Noted Self Hosted Roundup, please use the contact page and we can discuss.
If you are on Mastodon, give me a follow!
Sound off in the comments below with your recommendations for reviews or Self Hosted Roundup spotlights.
Have a great weekend everyone and happy self hosting!